Registering Your Marriage

If you get married abroad you generally cannot register your marriage in your country of residence.

This however does not mean that your marriage is not legally valid and your foreign marriage certificate will usually be accepted for official purposes.

Registering Your Marriage - Alona & Michael's Thailand Wedding - -

Photo courtesy of Thailand Weddings

Registering your Marriage in the United Kingdom

You cannot register your wedding abroad at a registry office but you can apply to have an original or a certified copy of your marriage documents sent from the consul of the district where your wedding took place to the General Register Office.

Note: if your marriage certificate needs to be translated, translations must also be sent along with your certificate.

In order to do this, one of you must be a British Citizen and the original document cannot be released after it has been deposited.

Once your documents have been deposited with the General Register Office they can issue you with certified copies of your marriage certificate which will save you from having to contact the overseas authority each time you require a copy.

For further information you can contact:

The Foreign and Commonwealth Office
Consular Division
King Charles Street
Tel: +44 (20) 7008 0186 (10am to 12am Monday to Friday)

Registering your Marriage in Ireland

If you have had your wedding abroad your marriage will not normally be registered in Ireland. However, your foreign marriage certificate will usually be accepted for official purposes.

If your certificate is in a foreign language you will need to provide an official translation from a recognised translation agency along with your marriage certificate.

Getting married abroad?
Need more help with the Legal Requirements?
Get free expert advice here

Please note: although much care and attention has been taken to ensure the above information on registering your marriage is correct please do not take it as legal advice.