Portugal is a wonderfully popular location for a wedding abroad…and it’s easy to see why!
It’s full of history, culture and stunning architecture and has the added bonus of being blessed with endless stretches of sun-kissed beaches. With easy access from most major airports, no residency requirements and a blossoming destination wedding industry, Portugal offers something for everyone.
Tips from Portugal Wedding Planning Experts
- The Algarve offers so much beauty, amazing weather, perfect sunsets, beautiful sandy beaches, breath taking clifftop views, but most of all it offers rich traditions, welcomes all visitors with open arms and has a generous heart. Celebrating your wedding abroad in Portugal is an experience of a lifetime in so many ways. – Algarve Dream Weddings
- An engagement shoot is not always something the people really look forward too – however, I believe it is essential to make each couple feel more at ease in front of a camera, and connected with the photographer. This helps the couple relax on the wedding day and the photographer gets a better sense of who they are and how they act together and will then certainly get better and more honest images at the main event. – Ana Pastoria Photography
- Cascais and the Algarve are favourites for wedding couples due to the fantastic weather all year round, perfect for that cliff top wedding ceremony overlooking the ocean. With magical castles, rural farmhouses and elegant hotels all tastes are catered for across Portugal and the level of service and attention to detail shown by venue owners makes you feel right at home. – Amulet Weddings
Our Top Tips for Getting Married in Portugal
- Many couples opt to do the legal bit in their home country and then have a symbolic ceremony in Portugal.
- Plan ahead, some of the more popular wedding venues can be booked up 12 to 18 months in advance.
- As soon as you know your wedding date, book your photographer and videographer.
- Have a welcome dinner or cocktails at a local restaurant or bar.
- Organise a post wedding day brunch or activity.
- For those planning a DIY wedding, use our Digital Destination Wedding Planning Tool Kit to help you stay on track which comes free when you book a 90 Minute Personalised Planning Consultation.
- Provide guests with as much information as possible. Read our Guest Information Guide, and download our Guest Information Checklist which covers everything from guests expenses, to creating a personal wedding website.
- If you would like your budget to stretch that bit further then look just outside of the popular “hotspots” or consider having your wedding midweek.
If you are marrying in the Algarve, Vale D’El Rei is a must!! Claudia is amazing, words can’t describe how good she is at her job. We got married on Saturday and Claudia was with us every step of the way for nearly 2 years, answering texts and emails straight away. She went above and beyond our expectations. Cannot recommend Vale D’El Rei and Claudia and her team highly enough! still in awe of our day!
Lisa & Stephen